Helios Towers, the independent telecoms tower infrastructure company, announces audited results for the 3 months to 31 March 2018.
- Revenue for the first quarter increased 7% quarter-on-quarter to US$89m (Q1 2017: US$83m)
- Adjusted EBITDA up 26% year-on-year to US$42m (Q1 2017: US$33m) with Adjusted EBITDA margin at 47% (Q1 2017: 40%), up 7ppts
- Cash and cash equivalents of US$90m at the end of the period (31 March 2017: US$289m)
- Increase in tenancies of 4% year-on-year to 13,063 tenancies (Q1 2017: 12,617 tenancies)
- Tenancy ration improved by 4% to 2.01x (Q1 2017 1.94x)
- Year-on-year growth in revenues and Adjusted EBITDA driven by organic demand and Business Excellence Program focused on operational improvements
- In February 2018, HTG Managed Services Limited ("HTG") was awarded a 15-year contract with the newly merged Airtel-Tigo business
- Remain focussed on continued top-line growth through additional colocation volumes, amendment revenues and built-to-suit tenancies as well as margin expansion driven by additional operational efficiencies
- Well positioned for continued growth with market leading positions in some of the most attractive and highest growth telecom markets in Sub-Saharan Africa
KASH PANDYA, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF HELIOS TOWERS, SAID:
"I am delighted to report another strong quarter for Helios Towers which has seen continued revenue growth driven by an increase in our tenancies and tenancy ratio, particularly in Tanzania and Ghana. We also enhanced our margin by focusing on operational efficiencies and investment in power-supply innovation, including the roll out of solar power in sites across our network.
As we move forward into the second quarter, we will continue to focus on delivering for our customers, employees and investors. Underpinned by our Business Excellence Programme, we will continue to enhance our service delivery to blue-chip clients, positioning us to deliver long term growth and future value for both our shareholders and bondholders."
For further information, please contact:
|Edward Bridges||FTI Consulting LLP||+44 (0)20 3727 1000|
About Helios Towers
- Helios Towers is a leading independent tower company in Africa, having established one of Africa's most extensive tower networks with more than 6,500 towers in four markets. HT builds and manages telecom passive infrastructure, leasing it to operators across the continent.
- Helios Towers is an independent telecommunications tower infrastructure company, and owns and operates more tower sites than any other operator in each of Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo, or DRC, and Congo Brazzaville. We are also a leading operator in Ghana with a strong urban presence.
- The company pioneered the sale-leaseback model in Africa, buying towers that were held by single operators and providing services utilising the tower infrastructure to the seller and other operators. Allowing wireless operators to outsource non-core tower-related activities enabling them to focus their capital and managerial resources on providing higher quality services more cost-effectively.
- Investors in HT include: Helios Investment Partners, Quantum Strategic Partners, Albright Capital Management LLC, RIT Capital Partners Plc, the International Finance Corporation and Millicom International Cellular.