Helios Towers announces the closing of the SA Towers transaction
The Group’s second investment in the country following the
establishment of its partnership with Vulatel
Helios Towers Ltd. (“Helios Towers”), the independent telecoms tower infrastructure company, today announces the completion of the transfer of the business of the South African tower company SA Towers (Pty) Ltd, into HTSA Towers (Pty) Limited (“HTSA Towers”). Helios Towers South Africa (“HTSA”), the platform created by Helios Towers in partnership with Vulatel (Pty) Ltd, has acquired a majority interest in HTSA Towers and will be funding the business’s future rollout.
This transaction strengthens HTSA’s operations and will allow the platform to leverage the organic tower growth opportunities present in the South African market. HTSA Towers’ site pipeline currently includes over 500 locations. This is Helios Towers’ second investment in South Africa.
Commenting on this agreement, Kash Pandya, CEO of Helios Towers said today:
“We are excited to announce the closing of our investment in the SA Towers’ business, now rebranded HTSA Towers. I am delighted to welcome its entrepreneurial team as we continue working together to meet the needs of the MNOs and their customers in South Africa.
“This expansion in South Africa provides Helios Towers further geographic diversification into a highly attractive infrastructure market with positive demographic trends and a high demand for advanced mobile and other telecommunications services.”
|Edward Bridges / Stephanie Ellis||FTI Consulting LLP||+44 (0)20 3727 1000|
About Helios Towers ("HT")
- Helios Towers is a leading independent telecommunications tower infrastructure company in Africa, having established one of the continent's most extensive tower portfolio with over 6,700 towers across five countries. It builds, owns and operates telecom passive infrastructure, providing services to mobile network operators.
- It owns and operates more sites than any other operator in each of Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo (“DRC”), and Congo Brazzaville. It is also a leading operator in Ghana with a strong urban presence.
- Helios Towers established a presence in South Africa in 2019 through Helios Towers South Africa, a joint platform with Vulatel.
- The Group pioneered the sale-leaseback model in Africa, buying towers that were held by single operators and providing services utilising the tower infrastructure to the seller and other operators. This allows wireless operators to outsource non-core tower-related activities, enabling them to focus their capital and managerial resources on providing higher quality services more cost-effectively.
- Investors in the company include: Helios Investment Partners, Quantum Strategic Partners, Albright Capital Management LLC, RIT Capital Partners Plc, the International Finance Corporation and Millicom International Cellular.
For further information go to:
About SA Towers (now “HTSA Towers”)
- SA Towers is one of South Africa’s fastest growing tower platforms with a pipeline of over 500 sites.
- The company was founded in 2016 by Rico Marx, Harm Kelderman and APP.
- SA Towers has leveraged its substantial property expertise in South Africa, building an expert town planning and permitting team that is specialised in getting permits in South Africa’s high-growth urban areas.